Singing lessons can provide so much more than just helping us ‘learn to sing better’…. Below are five ways in which singing lessons can be beneficial.
1. Reaching your potential. Starting with the most obvious then, let's discuss ‘learning to sing better’! In order to become a better singer, getting private singing lessons is the key to noticeable improvement. Have you ever sung at a gig or karaoke and felt as though you wished you’d started your set when you had finished your last song, because your voice actually felt ready? That’s because your vocal cords have sufficiently warmed up! By getting singing lessons, you can learn the techniques and skills to make the most out of your potential as a singer, be educated in how to warm up, along with being allocated specific exercises tailored to your voices needs… remember we are all individual, and that includes our voices, so not everyone is necessarily suited to the same exercises to get the most out of their voice.
2. Vocal health. If you are singing regularly then your vocal cords should be treated respectfully. Having singing lessons will give you a better understanding of how to use your voice correctly, and thus safely so as not to strain the cords or wear them out. You can also get advice on diet and lifestyle choices that can affect the efficiency of your vocal cords and their general health and stamina. Breathing control is also part of vocal coaching, therefore should you suffer from breathing difficulties; lessons can be a holistic way to improve your breathing. Vocal health is paramount to any singer. If you are hoping to work as a professional singer, it is even more important – if you lose your voice, you not only lose you passion, but you lose your job!
3. Public speaking. Professionals in the corporate/public speaking world will also benefit from vocal coaching. If you have to stand up and speak for a long period of time in front of a crowd of people you need to be confident and speak clearly. It is still a performance, but of a different kind!
4. Confidence. Most of us lack confidence, or bury away our ‘inner voice’ from time to time. Singing in front of someone is deemed to be one of the most terrifying things you can do! Having singing lessons can be a great way to gain general confidence in a fun and expressive way. You’d be amazed what positive effects it can have on self esteem.
5. It's fun! Singing is a common hobby which everybody has the tool for. Everyone needs a pastime and singing is an expressive, creative and satisfying way to enjoy yourself, even if you do not necessarily see yourself as a performer.